A golden retriever named Todd has saved his owner from a rattlesnake, and in the process took a fairly nasty bite to his face. Paula Goodwin and her dog, Todd, were on a hike in Anthem, Arizona, on Friday when they came across a rattlesnake.
As Goodwin was about to step on the snake, Todd jumped in front of her leg to stop her. Todd’s heroism stopped the snake from biting Goodwin, however the snake bit Todd’s face. Todd’s face has swelled a lot from the snake bite, however is expected to make a full recovery. Goodwin posted on Facebook about the dog’s heroic deed, saying “My hero of a puppy Todd saved me.”
Rattlesnakes’ venom is a hemotoxin, which destroys tissue, causes necrosis, and prevents blood from clotting. Some rattlesnakes, such as the tiger rattlesnake, have a neurotoxic venom that can cause paralysis. After getting bitten, Todd was taken to Anthem Animal Hospital for treatment, and is expected to make a full recovery.
Dogs truly are man’s best friend, and they’ll do anything they can to protect us!